Re: Supporting git-send-email/hg email in VC

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Supporting git-send-email/hg email in VC
Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2022 23:35:55 -0400

  > Would it make sense for Emacs' VC to support emailing patches from
  > within Emacs? It kind of doesn't make sense that I can do mostly
  > everything in VC... but I have to jump to the command line (shell) to
  > use git-send-email.

You can already send mail inside Emacs.  It has had a feature
to edit and send messages since 1985 or so.

VC is a generic interface to version control systems.  The idea is to
make each command handles whichever version control system the files
are using.

If you'd like to implement the feature of "collect the differences
from some previous version and email them," please do not implement
it such that it is limited to one particular version control system,
or only to version control systems that have some special support.

Please implement a default method that works for all version control
systems.  The default method cannot use either git-send-email or
git-format-patch, because they (I presume) work only with git.  It
should make use of vc-diff-internal to generate the patch.

Having special code to handle the git case is ok, and it can use
git-format-patch if that works -- provided the default method makes
the feature work for other version control systems.

Use the command `compose-mail' go start setting up the email.