Re: Display of undisplayable characters: \U01F3A8 instead of diamond

From: Gregory Heytings
Subject: Re: Display of undisplayable characters: \U01F3A8 instead of diamond
Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2022 13:29:30 +0000

A problem with this terminal emulator (along, it seems, with most others) is that it steals key sequnces which Emacs needs.

Amongst those which fbterm's author thought would never be used by a user are C-<space> and C-M-k.

Maybe fbterm has a way of freeing up these key sequences (I didn't get that far into its FAQ), but I doubt it.

In fact the default fbterm configuration (on Debian at least) does not steal those key sequences. They are stealed only if you manually add either a setuid bit or a capability on fbterm's binary. If the setuid bit or capability is set by default in other distributions, removing it should be enough. (And if you're annoyed by the warning that fbterm prints because it cannot steal those key sequences, you can add a "clear" in you shell startup script.)