Re: Display of undisplayable characters: \U01F3A8 instead of diamond

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Display of undisplayable characters: \U01F3A8 instead of diamond
Date: Sun, 28 Aug 2022 19:00:02 +0300

> Date: Sun, 28 Aug 2022 15:53:27 +0000
> From: Gregory Heytings <gregory@heytings.org>
> cc: acm@muc.de, rms@gnu.org, emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
> > Well, maybe the situation is not that bad, actually: we'll just waste
> > some cycles at info.el startup, to find that all the necessary
> > characters are supported if the terminal is fbterm.
>
> Okay.  Do you perhaps have a recipe with which I could check that it's
> indeed the case?

Start Info in a new session and see how much it takes.  Compare the
times on the release branch and on master (the change was installed on
the branch and was not yet merged to master).

> It's unclear to me what problem the patch is fixing.

It fixes the problem of the Linux console, which is unable to display
the non-ASCII symbols used by Texinfo although terminal-coding-system
is UTF-8.  For the list of the symbols, see
info-symbols-and-replacements.