Re: Suppressing native compilation (short and long term)

From: Rob Browning
Subject: Re: Suppressing native compilation (short and long term)
Date: Sun, 02 Oct 2022 12:15:27 -0500

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

> Battery consumption doesn't seem very relevant, because JIT
> compilation will happen when the system is used, not when it sleeps.
> And it is entirely not guaranteed that by compiling everything you
> will save power in the long run, because there are good chances you
> will be compiling stuff that won't be used for a long time.  Without
> quantitative data of long-term power usage on which to base the
> conclusions, I don't see why you should a-priori assume that compiling
> everything from the get-go should use less power.  Same goes for disk
> space by multiple users.

On this particular topic, I was actually just communicating a concern
that was communicated to me -- that a user wasn't happy about the
unpredictable, compilation spike long after the install on their laptop,
(in part due to concerns about power consumption).

(Personally, as a user, I'd also prefer to pay the cost up front, most
 of the time, during package install, and to avoid per-user duplications
 where possible, but that said, I generally do try to avoid basing
 Debian packaging decisions solely on my preferences, and I do want to
 try to favor upstream preferences in general.)

--
Rob Browning
rlb @defaultvalue.org and @debian.org