Re: Suppressing native compilation (short and long term)

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Suppressing native compilation (short and long term)
Date: Sun, 02 Oct 2022 20:48:56 +0300

> From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org>
> Cc: monnier@iro.umontreal.ca,  rlb@defaultvalue.org,  david@tethera.net,
>   emacs-devel@gnu.org,  akrl@sdf.org
> Date: Sun, 02 Oct 2022 19:38:01 +0200
>
> Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:
>
> > So there's a net win in having it enabled at all times.
>
> You may think so, and I may think so, but it should be up to the user
> (and the distribution).

If they present their case clearly, we might change our minds.  If
they don't present the case clearly, I don't see how we can provide a
solution, because disabling JIT compilation is already possible.  So
someone should explain why what is there is not good enough, and that
requires details.

> > In any case, we already have a way of switching off JIT compilation,
> > at least for some situations which we considered.
>
> I thought there wasn't a user option to switch it off?

There are several, actually, each one doing something slightly
different and disabling native compilation on a different level.
That's why I'm asking for details: we need to understand whether
something is missing and why.  For example, "disable native
compilation" may or may not be the same as "disable writing *.eln
files".