Re: Suppressing native compilation (short and long term)

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Suppressing native compilation (short and long term)
Date: Sun, 02 Oct 2022 13:25:36 -0400

> On this particular topic, I was actually just communicating a concern
> that was communicated to me -- that a user wasn't happy about the
> unpredictable, compilation spike long after the install on their laptop,
> (in part due to concerns about power consumption).

FWIW, regardless of what Debian decides to do, I think it would make
sense to offer some way to configure Emacs so that it native compiles
packages a bit more eagerly.

E.g. we could offer a configuration option that causes `package-install`
to eagerly native compile the installed files.  And we could offer
a "recompile" command that users can use after upgrading Emacs to
eagerly native-(re)compile all the ELPA-installed packages in the
user's $HOME.

The situation is very different for the bundled packages, since most of
them will never be used by most users, so JIT compilation is much
more beneficial.

        Stefan