Re: master 570a11052b: keymap.el: Ease up support for non-`kbd` formats.

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: master 570a11052b: keymap.el: Ease up support for non-`kbd` formats.
Date: Sun, 02 Oct 2022 20:32:07 +0200

(Re-sent to the right emacs-devel address...)

writes:

>     While we want to standardize on the `kbd` syntax for user-facing code,
>     the internal vector representation of key sequences is not going away,
>     so let's not impose silly `key-description + key-parse` roundtrips.

I don't think this is a good idea.  Before this change, `keymap-set'
(and friends) provided real value in giving the users feedback on the
consistent format we've chosen to document support.  With this, you
reintroduce the confusion we have with the myriad different (and
incomplete) syntaxes, and the next question will inevitably be why
`keymap-set' doesn't support the rest.

We've discussed this to death already.

So I'm going to revert this change, unless there's a compelling case not
to.