Re: master 570a11052b: keymap.el: Ease up support for non-`kbd` formats.

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: master 570a11052b: keymap.el: Ease up support for non-`kbd` formats.
Date: Sun, 02 Oct 2022 15:51:19 -0400

> (Re-sent to the right emacs-devel address...)

[ Same here ;-)  ]

> writes:
>
>>     While we want to standardize on the `kbd` syntax for user-facing code,
>>     the internal vector representation of key sequences is not going away,
>>     so let's not impose silly `key-description + key-parse` roundtrips.
>
> I don't think this is a good idea.  Before this change, `keymap-set'
> (and friends) provided real value in giving the users feedback on the
> consistent format we've chosen to document support.  With this, you
> reintroduce the confusion we have with the myriad different (and
> incomplete) syntaxes, and the next question will inevitably be why
> `keymap-set' doesn't support the rest.

I thought I explained in the commit message: the low-level vector
representation is not going away any time soon (there's not even a plan
for how this could happen, or anyone who mentioned a desire to make it
happen).

So it makes no sense to force people through (key-parse (key-description
<vector>)) when they have a low-level vector keysequence to start with.

        Stefan