Re: Suppressing native compilation (short and long term)

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Suppressing native compilation (short and long term)
Date: Sun, 02 Oct 2022 15:58:26 -0400

> We are talking about optional packages, not about preloaded Lisp
> files.  The preloaded ones indeed go together with the pdumper file,
> but the optional ones don't.

Debian always recompiles separately all the .el files in third party
packages (installed vi Debian) for all the installed Emacsen.
IOW if you have `emacs24`, `xemacs`, and `emacs25` installed, you'll
have 3 sets of .elc files for every ELisp package installed via Debian's
package manager.

So the `.eln` files aren't really more specific than the `.elc` in
that setting (except for the situation where you have `emacs-lucid` and
`emacs-gtk` and `emacs-nox` installed where these (unnecessarily)
require different `.eln` files but will share the same `elc` files).

        Stefan