Re: Suppressing native compilation (short and long term)

From: Rob Browning
Subject: Re: Suppressing native compilation (short and long term)
Date: Sun, 02 Oct 2022 13:46:46 -0500

> Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:
>
>> E.g., my eln-cache directory has no less than 20 subdirectories, each
>> one for a slightly different Emacs version and configuration.
>
> You're an Emacs developer, so that's to be expected.
>
> But for normal users, the .eln files are neither more nor less specific
> to an Emacs version than, say, the .pdmp file.  If Debian distributes a
> specific Emacs version, it will be accompanied with the matching .pdmp
> file -- and the matching .eln files, if that is what Debian decides to
> do.

With the current Debian arrangment, there would only ever be *one*
system-level .eln tree for the one installed Debian variant (emacs-nox,
emacs-lucid, or emacs-gtk).  Though of course the dir name hash might/would
change during each upgrade, but we already assume we have to rebuild all
the .elc files on each upgrade, and do (in dependency order), so that
shouldn't be a problem.

--
Rob Browning
rlb @defaultvalue.org and @debian.org