Re: Suppressing native compilation (short and long term)

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Suppressing native compilation (short and long term)
Date: Sun, 02 Oct 2022 21:57:15 +0300

> From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org>
> Cc: Rob Browning <rlb@defaultvalue.org>,  yandros@gmail.com,
>   tomas@tuxteam.de,  emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Sun, 02 Oct 2022 20:37:20 +0200
>
> Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:
>
> > E.g., my eln-cache directory has no less than 20 subdirectories, each
> > one for a slightly different Emacs version and configuration.
>
> You're an Emacs developer, so that's to be expected.

As I wrote (and you elided), I don't expect to see 20 subdirectories
on other systems, but I wouldn't be surprised to see 5 or 10.

> But for normal users, the .eln files are neither more nor less specific
> to an Emacs version than, say, the .pdmp file.  If Debian distributes a
> specific Emacs version, it will be accompanied with the matching .pdmp
> file -- and the matching .eln files, if that is what Debian decides to
> do.

We are talking about optional packages, not about preloaded Lisp
files.  The preloaded ones indeed go together with the pdumper file,
but the optional ones don't.

> This is not complicated.

Famous last words.