Re: tramp-kubernetes

From: Filipp Gunbin
Subject: Re: tramp-kubernetes
Date: Tue, 04 Oct 2022 19:50:46 +0300

Hi Michael,

On 04/10/2022 16:30 +0200, Michael Albinus wrote:

> Filipp Gunbin <fgunbin@fastmail.fm> writes:
>
>> Hi,
>
> Hi Filipp,
>
>> I've seen the recently-added tramp-docker method (thanks for that!).  It
>> was easy to adapt that to add a method for Kubernetes.  I think this
>> could be a worthwhile addition, the code is attached - take if you like.
>
> Thanks for this!
>
> This would be the very first Tramp method I'm not able to test. I've
> worked with kubernetes years ago, but I have no access to kubernetes
> clusters anymore. But of course, this shouldn't be an exclusion reason
> :-)

I've used Docker Desktop
(https://www.docker.com/products/docker-desktop/) to run local
Kubernetes cluter on macOS.  There should be a way to run it locally on
other OSes as well.

> Have you checked kubernetes-tramp on MELPA, how they correlate?

Yes, I started from that, it's a bit outdated and didn't work for me.
It doesn't do anything which tramp-kubernetes.el does not.

> Another question: Would we really need another Lisp file? Couldn't this
> be added to tramp-docker.el (and maybe that file renamed to
> tramp-container.el, because it is about container technology)?

I see that tramp-docker.el offers to choose podman as program, I assume
that means that they have similar cli interface.

Kubernetes is a bit different, in that it's a layer on top of container
runtime (and they seem to deprecate Docker as container runtime:
https://www.docker.com/products/docker-desktop/).  Kubernetes pod may
have several containers inside.  There're also Kubernetes services.
Given this, I'd better not "unify" the two (even though currently
kubectl is used as just "give me the shell please").

> What I also miss is something for the documentation, tramp.texi.

Yeah, I'll add something.

> Otherwise, I have no objections.
>
>> Of the things to be improved, we could add container selection (like
>> "kubectl exec <pod> -c <container>").  Now it offers to choose pod, and
>> then uses first container there (as just "kubectl exec <pod>").  This
>> default should usually be enough, though.
>
> This I would let to people familiar with kubernetes.

Let's see what others say.  There's also "kubernetes" package on MELPA,
which offers rich interface, but that's a different thing.

Thanks for the review!
Filipp