Re: tramp-kubernetes

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: tramp-kubernetes
Date: Tue, 04 Oct 2022 16:30:49 +0200

Filipp Gunbin <fgunbin@fastmail.fm> writes:

> Hi,

Hi Filipp,

> I've seen the recently-added tramp-docker method (thanks for that!).  It
> was easy to adapt that to add a method for Kubernetes.  I think this
> could be a worthwhile addition, the code is attached - take if you like.

Thanks for this!

This would be the very first Tramp method I'm not able to test. I've
worked with kubernetes years ago, but I have no access to kubernetes
clusters anymore. But of course, this shouldn't be an exclusion reason :-)

Have you checked kubernetes-tramp on MELPA, how they correlate?

Another question: Would we really need another Lisp file? Couldn't this
be added to tramp-docker.el (and maybe that file renamed to
tramp-container.el, because it is about container technology)?

What I also miss is something for the documentation, tramp.texi.

Otherwise, I have no objections.

> Of the things to be improved, we could add container selection (like
> "kubectl exec <pod> -c <container>").  Now it offers to choose pod, and
> then uses first container there (as just "kubectl exec <pod>").  This
> default should usually be enough, though.

This I would let to people familiar with kubernetes.

> Thanks.
> Filipp

Best regards, Michael.