Re: Suppressing native compilation (short and long term)

From: Andrea Corallo
Subject: Re: Suppressing native compilation (short and long term)
Date: Wed, 05 Oct 2022 13:47:10 +0000

> Andrea Corallo <akrl@sdf.org> writes:
>
>> Again `inhibit-automatic-native-compilation' does not disable automatic
>> trampoline native compilation :/
>>
>> BTW I think most of people refers to what was controlled by
>> `native-comp-deferred-compilation' as a jitter mechanism, so I think a
>> better name would have been `inhibit-native-jit-compilation'.  I wish
>> this change was not rushed.
>
> I don't think `inhibit-native-jit-compilation' conveys anything more to
> the user than `inhibit-automatic-native-compilation'?

That's your opinion and I respect it.  Still
`inhibit-automatic-native-compilation' does *not* disable automatic
native compilation but only a mechanism contributing to it, so it's IMO
a bad naming decision.

> Andrea Corallo <akrl@sdf.org> writes:
>
>> We can discuss code also on branches, there's no need to install changes
>> on master to discuss them.
>>
>> I'm back now after a long weekend and your proposal of introduciung
>> `inhibit-native-compilation' is form 2 days and 1 hour ago.  Sorry but I
>> don't want to feel that changes can be rushed into Emacs code and in
>> order to partecipate to the discussion people can't have some time off.
>
> Development takes place on the "master" branch -- code appearing there
> does not curtail further discussion.

I have not said that once code is in master discussion is forbidden.  I
said that to discuss a change there's *no* requirement to install it in
master, especially before sufficient discussion is done on the list for
these tricky interfaces.  My 2cts are that these mechanisms and changes
should be very well thought and participated before being modified.

As maintainer of comp.c and related I ask to have this changeset
reverted and then we restart thinking again what's the best change (if
any) needed here.

Thanks

  Andrea