Re: Suppressing native compilation (short and long term)

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Suppressing native compilation (short and long term)
Date: Mon, 03 Oct 2022 20:21:42 +0300

> From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org>
> Cc: Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org>,  rlb@defaultvalue.org,  david@tethera.net,
>   emacs-devel@gnu.org,  akrl@sdf.org
> Date: Mon, 03 Oct 2022 16:09:35 +0200

> > AFAICT for the case (A), we *do* want to save trampolines for the next
> > time around, and those users probably do want to use native compilation
> > (e.g. they would likely set `package-native-compile` to non-nil), just
> > not the deferred kind, so the var name is a bit odd for them.
>
> The trampolines are very fast to make, so creating them once per Emacs
> session doesn't seem like a problem.  If that turns out to be an issue,
> we can tweak the variable.

I think that entire changeset should be reverted.  It is not well
thought out, and ion some aspects downright dangerous.  The
environment variable is especially egregious: it will affect all the
sub-process Emacsen as well, something that will bite users, a lesson
we've learned long ago with the likes of EMACSLOADPATH.

Such changes should not be installed without a great deal of careful
thought and consideration of the different use cases.  Which I tried
to explain all the way, but apparently to deaf ears.