Re: Suppressing native compilation (short and long term)

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: Suppressing native compilation (short and long term)
Date: Wed, 05 Oct 2022 16:58:50 +0200

Andrea Corallo <akrl@sdf.org> writes:

> Well to give few examples you were not aware of: the `load-no-native'
> mechanism, the fact that deferred compilation is not the only mechanism
> concurring to automatic native compilation (and that's why it was named
> as such and not just automatic native compilation), the fact that native
> compilation does not happen in non interactive sessions.

I didn't know about the first (because it's badly named and
undocumented, as well as totally irrelevant to the discussion in this
thread), but I was aware of all the other things here, and I'm not sure
why you'd think otherwise.

My perception here is that you're mostly angry that somebody else is
working on your code -- but that's pretty common.  Many people feel
proprietary towards code they've written.

> There is nothing wrong with that, the native compiler is a complex
> machine and its interface as well, but still: there's no single aspect
> of this changeset that I see as an improvement, so as maintainer of the
> native compiler I ask to have it reverted.

Like I said before, the code solves (at least) two real problems, so I'm
not in favour of doing so.