Re: Suppressing native compilation (short and long term)

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: Suppressing native compilation (short and long term)
Date: Wed, 05 Oct 2022 17:24:05 +0200

Andrea Corallo <akrl@sdf.org> writes:

> This is not the case at all, please trust me, your changeset does two
> things:
>
> 1- change the name a knob, but it goes from a maybe un-intuitive one to
>    just (as explained) a plain wrong one.

It goes from an un-intuitive (and undocumented) one to an
intuitively-named (and documented) one.  In my opinion, the old variable
is just as wrong as the current one (because it seemed to imply that
compilation would be immediate instead of deferred).

> 2- add a mechanism that (as explained) cannot help with the user request
>    in this discussion at all.

And I've explained twice now that 2 is wrong -- these changes do exactly
what was requested:

  1) It allows testing without writing to $HOME.  (This has nothing to
  do with --batch -- testing happens in interactive Emacsen, too.)

  2) It allows people to run an AOT Emacs without triggering further
  compilation.

If you have a suggestion for an alternative change that achieves these
two things, I'm all ears.  (But if your objection is "people shouldn't
want those two things", I'm down to just two ears again.)