Re: Suppressing native compilation (short and long term)

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Suppressing native compilation (short and long term)
Date: Thu, 06 Oct 2022 09:26:38 +0300

> From: Po Lu <luangruo@yahoo.com>
> Cc: Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org>,  akrl@sdf.org,  rlb@defaultvalue.org,
>   monnier@iro.umontreal.ca,  david@tethera.net,  emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Thu, 06 Oct 2022 08:40:36 +0800
>
> Lars Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org> writes:
>
> > Po Lu seemed to request it just now, though.
>
> Nope, my solution is to wait the 30 minutes for the fans to subside
> after startup, every time I update Emacs.

I'd like to point out that the situation with frequent updates of
Emacs that require recompilation of *.eln files is peculiar to Emacs
development on the master branch, and will generally rare if ever
happen for "normal" users, and even for us developers on the release
branch.

Like I said before, the pattern of JIT compilation in "normal" usage
is that it happens for a few minutes after installing a new version of
Emacs, and thereafter happens only rarely.

> I think the end result and time spent is more-or-less the same as a
> NATIVE_FULL_AOT build of Emacs.

I think NATIVE_FULL_AOT takes more time, because it compiles much more
than an average user will ever use.  (But I don't object to supporting
such a build for people who want it.)