Re: Call for volunteers: add tree-sitter support to major modes

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Call for volunteers: add tree-sitter support to major modes
Date: Sun, 09 Oct 2022 18:39:27 +0300

> From: Brian <brian.miller.0235@gmail.com>
> Date: Sun, 9 Oct 2022 15:20:41 +0000
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
> I do not understand why only one person is credited if it is a
> collective effort.  Why does Emacs files have author fields, what
> Is their significance, history?  I have only seen Emacs do this
> and couldn't find anything on it in CONTRIBUTING file, so the
> process feels somewhat opaque.

Not only the original author is credited.  There's also "maintainer",
and then there's the etc/AUTHORS file and the "Acknowledgements" node
of the Emacs manual.

In a large project that runs for so many years, it is not practical to
have all the contributors spelled in the files to which they
contributed, so we do it differently.