Re: Fwd: A TAB operation reform question.

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Fwd: A TAB operation reform question.
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2022 09:48:53 -0400

Vladimir Nikishkin [2022-10-11 20:59:17] wrote:
> This is more or less what I would like to suggest, except I am not
> particularly sure that advising is the way to go with this issue.
> I think that a customizable "hook-list" would be a cleaner option.

I tried to use a standard hook with a list of function, but I found it
was not flexible enough to cover adequately the variety of interactions
between the different options (TAB is highly sought after, so the
existing interactions are sometimes fairly delicate).

A `tab-dwim-function` var is a bit more delicate to configure than
a `tab-dwim-functions` var, but I think neither of them would be usable
via Custom anyway (because it's often overridden buffer-locally by
major/minor modes).

This said, a `tab-dwim-functions` would be a great improvement over
what have, in any case.

        Stefan