Re: Fwd: A TAB operation reform question.

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: Fwd: A TAB operation reform question.
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2022 14:57:11 +0800

> A `tab-dwim-function` var is a bit more delicate to configure than
> a `tab-dwim-functions` var, but I think neither of them would be usable
> via Custom anyway (because it's often overridden buffer-locally by
> major/minor modes).
>
> This said, a `tab-dwim-functions` would be a great improvement over
> what have, in any case.

What about going further and allowing customization for dwim commands?

I imagine something like (defun-dwim ...), which can later be extended
to act differently depending on major mode or any other condition. For
example, special modes will then need not rely upon the key binding
conventions, say for next/previous line (C-n/C-p). If the user can
simply re-bind next-line-dwim/previous-line-dwim and get all the major
modes obey the new binding without a need to do major-mode-specific
customizations.

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,