Re: Improvements to Emacs documentation accessibility

From: Philip Kaludercic
Subject: Re: Improvements to Emacs documentation accessibility
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2022 17:17:21 +0000

John Haman <mail@johnhaman.org> writes:

>> AFAIU that means you somehow landed on an outdated page
>
> I don't think it is outdated. Attaching an image that shows an example.
>
> To me, it does not look like a mobile website.

I just tried it out in Firefox using the "Responsive Design Mode" (that
allows you to preview how a page looks like on a mobile device).
Interestingly enough the page did at first appear just like in your
screenshot, but when I slightly resized the frame it did appear like a
regular "mobile site" (hopefully attached below).

The site is missing a viewport-meta tag which is regretfully necessary
for normal pages to behave like normal pages on mobile screens.  Adding
that ought to help, but that should be done by the texinfo/makeinfo
maintainers.

> On 10/12/22 9:44 AM, Po Lu wrote:
>> John Haman <mail@johnhaman.org> writes:
>>
>>> I noticed while browsing the Emacs manuals on my mobile phone that the
>>> accessibility is very poor. The text is very small which makes it hard
>>> to read without zooming and scrolling.
>>>
>>> The layout of the texinfo html is classic, but would the community
>>> would be open to making the docs more readable on small devices? (like
>>> mobile phones and tablets)
>>>
>>> I'm not a web developer, but I believe the solution would involve some
>>> improvements to the CSS of the documentation to add word-wrapping and
>>> maybe increase the font size.
>>>
>>> I'm happy to help.
>> AFAIU that means you somehow landed on an outdated page, since the
>> latest ones have been generated to work well on mobile browsers as well.
>>
>> At least that's the conclusion last bug report about this led to.  Feel
>> free to correct me if I'm wrong.

PNG image