Re: Improvements to Emacs documentation accessibility

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Improvements to Emacs documentation accessibility
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2022 09:08:53 +0300

> From: Stefan Kangas <stefankangas@gmail.com>
> Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2022 20:31:41 -0700
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
> Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:
>
> > AFAIU, the following is missing from the HTML manuals:

> > This is strange, since I think the previous version did include that
> > heading.  Texinfo does produce it, but AFAIR the script that edits the
> > HTML for the Web site was originally removing that line.  That should
> > have been fixed several months ago.
> >
> > Stefan, can you please look into this?
>
> This should now be fixed.
>
> I had to regenerate the HTML files using the makeinfo version from
> Debian testing/bookworm, instead of the one from stable/bullseye that I
> used previously.

Thanks.

I think the conclusion here is that we should use the latest released
Texinfo version when generating the manuals.  Maybe it's something to
be said in make-tarball.txt.  (I always build my own Texinfo from
sources on systems where I need to generate Emacs manuals, FWIW.  It's
not hard to build it.)