Re: Average-user-facing interface for tree-sitter

From: Daniel Martín
Subject: Re: Average-user-facing interface for tree-sitter
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2022 11:57:05 +0200

Robert Pluim <rpluim@gmail.com> writes:

> off-by-two: thereʼs also the "I want syntax highlighting and
> indentation to work out of the box, donʼt bother me with
> implementation details" camp, which kind of implies that we should
> turn on tree-sitter by default if itʼs available.

I think it's still early to enable Tree-sitter by default.  We're not
sure about the trade-offs compared to the current implementation.  I'd
leave it off by default, at least for Emacs 29, even if the Tree-sitter
library is installed.

I agree with you that we should make it as transparent to users as
possible.  Enabling something like global-treesit-mode should
automatically make major modes and some minor modes (code folding?) use
Tree-sitter if possible (and they should fallback to the
non-Tree-sitter-based logic if the Tree-sitter-based one is not
implemented yet).

For advanced users, we can offer the buffer-local minor mode, and even
offer the "per feature" toggles that were suggested in this thread.