Re: [SPAM UNSURE] Re: Average-user-facing interface for tree-sitter

From: Stephen Leake
Subject: Re: [SPAM UNSURE] Re: Average-user-facing interface for tree-sitter
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2022 03:01:51 -0700

Robert Pluim <rpluim@gmail.com> writes:

>     Lars> I think users basically fall into two camps: The ones that want to
> have
>     Lars> tree-sitter in all modes, and ones that want to enable it in
> specific
>     Lars> modes (and ones that don't want it at all).  (Note Computer
>     Lars> Science-mandated off-by-one error.)
>
> off-by-two: thereʼs also the "I want syntax highlighting and
> indentation to work out of the box, donʼt bother me with
> implementation details" camp, which kind of implies that we should
> turn on tree-sitter by default if itʼs available.

Depends on who "we" is here; the mode author may be in the best
position to know, or the "correct" choice may also depend on user
preference.

Which is why ada-mode 8.0 supports user choice of eglot or wisi for each
feature; the choice depends on exactly what the user is doing with
ada-mode, and how hard they want to work to install it.

--
-- Stephe