Re: Suppressing native compilation (short and long term)

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: Suppressing native compilation (short and long term)
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2022 22:57:51 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

> No, it should not happen, because async JIT compilation processes run
> Emacs in batch mode, and async compilation is disabled in batch mode
> (for this very reason).

As we've covered many times recently -- yes, but no.

.elc -> .eln generation is off, but trampolines are on, and comp.el
forks an Emacs to generate those, too, I think?  So if the forked Emacs
also needs to generate the same trampoline, you have an infinite
recursion fork bomb.

You'd need a pretty tortured setup to get there, but the build process
here seems really tweaked anyway.

Let's see if I can reproduce the phenomenon...

Ooops!  Just crashed my laptop!  That's fun.  😀

So don't follow this recipe:

# cat /usr/local/share/emacs/29.0.50/site-lisp/site-start.el
(fset 'yes-or-no-p 'y-or-n-p)

rm -r  ~/.emacs.d/eln-cache/; ./src/emacs -Q

M-: (fset 'yes-or-no-p 'y-or-n-p) RET

Dead laptop (except for the fan that spins up), so handle with caution.

So we need a recursion blocker in the trampoline generation function.