Re: Suppressing native compilation (short and long term)

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Suppressing native compilation (short and long term)
Date: Tue, 04 Oct 2022 09:10:28 +0300

> From: Stefan Kangas <stefankangas@gmail.com>
> Date: Mon, 3 Oct 2022 23:58:28 +0200
> Cc: rlb@defaultvalue.org, tomas@tuxteam.de, emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
> Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:
>
> >> compilation warnings are still very common (the situation is
> >> improving, tho, and arguably the warnings popping up out of the blue
> >> during lazy native compilation may prove to be a good way to convince
> >> more package authors to clean up their act).
> >
> > So this, too, is extremely temporary, and will disappear soon enough,
> > at least in popular packages.
>
> I don't see that the situation has substantially improved

You are too impatient, IMO.  This stuff takes time to propagate; Emacs
28 is just beginning to be widely used (otherwise we'd have this
discussion many moons ago).  We had these problems in Emacs as well,
originally.

> Here are some recent examples, to give an idea:
>
>     https://github.com/deb0ch/emacs-winum/pull/31
>     https://github.com/lewang/ws-butler/pull/40
>     https://github.com/Malabarba/aggressive-indent-mode/pull/150
>
> These examples can be multiplied at will.

Yes, it is easy to think the problem is larger and more significant
than it really is.