Re: Suppressing native compilation (short and long term)

From: Stefan Kangas
Subject: Re: Suppressing native compilation (short and long term)
Date: Mon, 3 Oct 2022 23:58:28 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> compilation warnings are still very common (the situation is
>> improving, tho, and arguably the warnings popping up out of the blue
>> during lazy native compilation may prove to be a good way to convince
>> more package authors to clean up their act).
>
> So this, too, is extremely temporary, and will disappear soon enough,
> at least in popular packages.

I don't see that the situation has substantially improved, though I'm of
course happy to hear that Stefan M remains optimistic.

In far too many cases, it is very hard to get fixes for warnings merged
in a timely manner, and it's even harder to get those fixes actually
released.

Here are some recent examples, to give an idea:

    https://github.com/deb0ch/emacs-winum/pull/31
    https://github.com/lewang/ws-butler/pull/40
    https://github.com/Malabarba/aggressive-indent-mode/pull/150

These examples can be multiplied at will.