Re: Suppressing native compilation (short and long term)

From: Rob Browning
Subject: Re: Suppressing native compilation (short and long term)
Date: Sat, 15 Oct 2022 12:21:29 -0500

> I think this should work, but there may be regressions, of course.
> Let's see...  I tried it now, and I got the warning below, but things
> otherwise seem to work fine:
>
> Warning (initialization): Unable to create `user-emacs-directory'
> (~/.emacs.d/).
> Any data that would normally be written there may be lost!
> If you never want to see this message again,
> customize the variable `user-emacs-directory-warning'.

We just got 28.2 into Debian, and we should likely re-evaluate that
version, as compared to 28.1.  See if the behaviors have changed.

> Emacs should work with an unwritable file system, but there's probably
> code that bugs out in that situation -- but those things should be
> fixed.
>
> If you have a test case that demonstrates the problem, please open a bug
> report for that, so that we can get fixin'.

OK, so if there is (or we come to) an upstream consensus that
HOME=/does-not-exist should work (would that be considered a subset of
the unwritable filesystem case?), then I think that's likely sufficient
for Debian packaging.  (That's what we were initially attempting.)

And if it doesn't yet work, we're very likely to be able to help track
down and fix those cases as we work through all the add-on packages.

Thanks
--
Rob Browning
rlb @defaultvalue.org and @debian.org