Re: Suppressing native compilation (short and long term)

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: Suppressing native compilation (short and long term)
Date: Sun, 16 Oct 2022 11:01:52 +0200

Rob Browning <rlb@defaultvalue.org> writes:

> OK, so if there is (or we come to) an upstream consensus that
> HOME=/does-not-exist should work (would that be considered a subset of
> the unwritable filesystem case?),

The cases are somewhat different, and may tickle different code paths.
For instance, there may be guards in the code where we want to write to,
for instance the autosave file, that checks whether the directory
exists, and if not, handles that gracefully.  But perhaps there's no
error handling around actually writing the file, leading Emacs to bug
out in bad ways.  (Just a random theoretical example.)

My guess is that we don't do much testing for the unwritable filesystems
case, so there may be many bugs in this area.