Re: Suppressing native compilation (short and long term)

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Suppressing native compilation (short and long term)
Date: Sat, 15 Oct 2022 19:16:58 -0400

Rob Browning [2022-10-15 11:34:14] wrote:
>>> I suppose we could just shadow emacs in the path with a wrapper that
>>> includes the argument(s), assuming few of the projects have their own
>>> interfering options, and that they always use the same (or a handful of
>>> predictable) relative invocation of emacs, e.g. "emacs" not
>>> "/usr/bin/emacs" or...
>> Or put a small chunk of ELisp in Debian's site-start file which sets the
>> eln load path according to some env-var :-)
> I wondered if that would be early enough.

The site-start file is basically the first chunk of non-builtin ELisp
code that is executed except for the `early-init.el` which is loaded
even before.

Trampolines should not be needed before we load such non-builtin code,
so I think the answer is that it's early enough unless the running
user doesn't has `early-init.el` which itself needs a trampoline.

> I'll have to double-check, but I think people may have found that some
> of the attempts to change it via the command line may not have been.

I think `--eval` is run too late (after the site-start), indeed.

        Stefan