RE: [External] : Re: Adding a "quick-help" menu

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: [External] : Re: Adding a "quick-help" menu
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2022 01:00:42 +0000

Well, since someone asked for opinions, and few've been
expressed so far, here's one, FWIW.

I'm not in favor of this quick-help menu - neither the
organization nor the choice of what to present (so much
Project, really?).  Nor even how it's presented (UI).

I particularly don't recommend replacing the usual `C-h q'
with a `C-h q' where `q' doesn't mean "quit".  "Quit or
quick" is not a good idea, IMO.  I vote to keep `q' as
"quit" - here, there, and everywhere, unless there's some
overriding good reason for `q' to do something else.  And
even then, don't give it a "quit-or-<other>" behavior.

More could be said, but that's enough.

I'd recommend that if someone really thinks this is a good
idea then add it to GNU ELPA as a tiny library.  Then see
how much favor and use it gains.  If users, especially new
users, start to say how much they appreciate it, then
consider melding it into the default UI.  There's no hurry.