Re: Adding a "quick-help" menu

From: Philip Kaludercic
Subject: Re: Adding a "quick-help" menu
Date: Sun, 16 Oct 2022 22:44:33 +0000

Howard Melman <hmelman@gmail.com> writes:

> On Oct 16, 2022, at 12:01 PM, Philip Kaludercic <philipk@posteo.net>
> wrote:
>>
>> Howard Melman <hmelman@gmail.com> writes:
>>
>>> A few comments on the text.
>>>
>>> In Window I think C-x 0 should be called kill (or close)
>>> because that what it does to the window, and this is
>>> meaningful if there is more than 2 windows in the frame.
>>> Kill matches the usage in Buffer.  And perhaps C-x 1 should
>>> be labeled "kill others".
>>>
>>> Also I think C-x o should be called switch just like C-x b
>>> in Buffer.
>>>
>>> In Mark & Kill I would put Kill Line first so that the mark
>>> command is closer to the region and yank commands.
>>>
>>> Finally the text for C-x C-c is "exit" in the File column
>>> and I don't think that's clear enough that it exits emacs
>>> and not just a file.  I know there isn't room to add emacs
>>> but maybe "quit" is clearer as quitting a file makes less
>>> sense (IMHO) than exiting one.
>>
>> The contents of the help buffer are specified by the
>> `help-quick-sections' variable in lisp/help.el.  Feel free to prepare a
>> patch with your suggestions, that would make it easier to see how they
>> look like.
>
> I don't build my own emacs and haven't signed papers, so I hope
> my mere comments are understandable and sufficient for consideration.

No problem, here is how the buffer looks like after applying your
suggestions:

File           Buffer             Window              Mark & Kill
Projects                  Misc.
C-x C-f find   C-x k   kill       C-x 0 kill          C-k     kill line    C-x
p p switch            C-x C-c exit
C-x C-w write  C-x b   switch     C-x 1 kill others   C-SPC   mark         C-x
p f find file         C-_     undo
C-x C-s save   M-g g   goto line  C-x 2 split vert.   M-w     kill region  C-x
p g search            C-s     search
C-x s   all    C-x C-q read only  C-x 3 split horiz.  C-y     yank         C-x
p r search & replace  M-%     search & replace
                                  C-x o switch        C-x C-x swap         C-x
p c compile           M-q     reformat

Instead of renaming "C-x C-c" I have moved it over to "Misc." and
removed reverse search.  There is some space under "File" and "Buffer"
now, but I can't think an elementary command that would be a good fit.
Any ideas?