Re: Adding a "quick-help" menu

From: Howard Melman
Subject: Re: Adding a "quick-help" menu
Date: Sun, 16 Oct 2022 21:00:01 -0400

> No problem, here is how the buffer looks like after applying your
> suggestions:
>
> File           Buffer             Window              Mark & Kill
> Projects                  Misc.
> C-x C-f find   C-x k   kill       C-x 0 kill          C-k     kill line
> C-x p p switch            C-x C-c exit
> C-x C-w write  C-x b   switch     C-x 1 kill others   C-SPC   mark
> C-x p f find file         C-_     undo
> C-x C-s save   M-g g   goto line  C-x 2 split vert.   M-w     kill region
> C-x p g search            C-s     search
> C-x s   all    C-x C-q read only  C-x 3 split horiz.  C-y     yank
> C-x p r search & replace  M-%     search & replace
>                                 C-x o switch        C-x C-x swap         C-x
> p c compile           M-q     reformat

Hmmm, having just seen Lars' image I didn't realize there
was also a Projects and Misc. column.

> Instead of renaming "C-x C-c" I have moved it over to "Misc." and
> removed reverse search.

So I agree C-x C-c makes some sense under Misc, but it is
the only one in that column with an extra key, making it
wider.  I'll not that the actual File menu has C-x C-c in it
and it's labeled Quit, so there's precedent for that too
(the File column here has longer bindings).

Projects should probably be Project to match the plurality
of File, Buffer and Window.

> There is some space under "File" and "Buffer" now, but I
> can't think an elementary command that would be a good
> fit.  Any ideas?

Maybe:

C-x x r rename
C-x x g revert
C-x x n clone
C-x C-j dired

clone is a bit advanced but conceivably interesting for a
newbie.  I'm not sure dired-jump is suitable, but I use it a
lot (way more than the others) and dired is something I
think everyone should find useful.  Maybe it's called
"browse" here?

Researching the above I realize that perhaps C-x C-w should
be called "save as" instead of "write".  That's what it's
called in the File menu.

Lastly I'm not sure if it fits or was considered but as a
newbie I'd appreciate knowing about some prefix keys like

C-h help
M-g goto
M-s search
C-x r rects and registers
C-x 4 windows
C-x 5 frames
C-x x buffers
C-x p projects
C-x t tabs
C-x v version control

particularly with which-key enabled which would easily
offer more help if these are tried (C-h works too).  I'm not
sure all of those are appropriate, but it's what came to mind.

--

Howard