Re: [patch: first impression]

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: [patch: first impression]
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2022 20:30:34 +0300

On 18.10.2022 19:47, Uwe Brauer wrote:
"DG" == Dmitry Gutov <dgutov@yandex.ru> writes:

On 18.10.2022 18:38, Uwe Brauer wrote:
I am confused now! That description sounds like
hg update
to me
but it seems git reset --soft would not call a merge in the case you
describe

Right.

what's about
hg update -C
Or is that more like git reset --hard?

Yes, 'hg update -C' is like 'git reset --hard', it that it discards
uncommitted changes. 'hg update' tries to merge them instead. Just
like 'git checkout' might do. Either way, they generally change file
contents on disk.

'git reset --soft' (or just 'git reset') doesn't touch file contents
on disk.

What's about

  hg uncommit

Again, it changes file contents on disk.

Or

Not sure
hg strip --keep -r .

Not sure what this one does, but the description doesn't sound relevant.

Is it more like 'git cherry-pick'?

But strip is usually slow.

BTW I can't see much difference in your latest patch, I have to test it more,
the emacs-hg is very slow even from the command line

That's unfortunate.