Re: Average-user-facing interface for tree-sitter

From: Theodor Thornhill
Subject: Re: Average-user-facing interface for tree-sitter
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2022 07:35:51 +0200

Hi Yuan!

Yuan Fu <casouri@gmail.com> writes:

>>> And remove treesit-remapped-major-mode-alist?
>>
>> That's I'd do, yes.
>>
>> It's much easier to add features later (if they prove to satisfy
>> a common need) than to remove unused features.
>>
>> BTW, I see that `global-treesit-mode--turn-on` is currently a (non
>> official) alias of `treesit-mode`, but I think it should only call
>> `treesit-mode` in those buffers where there is some indication that the
>> major mode provides some treesit-mode support (e.g., currently that
>> could be if `major-mode-backend-function` is set).
>
> I’m changing it to what you described in another email. (So
> major-mode-backend-function is goner). I can use treesit-font-lock-settings
> as the minimum criterion.

It seems we've had some regressions _after_
851a8f65e9a6b00b51f6a41f4c8f2ec2a797862b, I presume with the major mode
toggles, so font-locking has ceased to work properly.  One thing I see
is that the "warn" isn't a symbol in the new toggle mechanism, so it
errors out.  But even after that has been fixed it still doesn't work.

Why would we want to init the whole js-mode if we already know that we
don't want to use it?

All the best,
Theo