Re: Average-user-facing interface for tree-sitter

From: Fu Yuan
Subject: Re: Average-user-facing interface for tree-sitter
Date: Sat, 22 Oct 2022 18:59:35 -0700

>>> Back to centralized variable, perhaps?
>>
>> I’ve thought really hard but didn’t come up with any brilliant ideas, so I’m
>> going with centralized variable. Now, should I throw away recent commits and
>> create a new branch so we don’t have so many changes back and forth on js.el
>> and python.el? Plus feature/tree-sitter wouldn’t be used for long anyway
>> since it’s merging into master soon.
>
> I'd wait a bit more to see if some other ideas come up first.

Here’s my thought (that didn’t go anywhere): since major modes sets a plethora
of local hooks and variables, only the major mode itself knows how to reverse
them. The cleanest way is probably to clear all the local variables and hooks
and re-run the major mode setup, which suggests we should let major mode branch
on whether to enable tree-sitter during initialization. I wonder if minor modes
can somehow work with this model?

It would be also nice to leave room for inclusion of other “backends” besides
elisp and tree-sitter in the future.

Yuan