Re: [ELPA] New package: luwak

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: [ELPA] New package: luwak
Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2022 10:03:29 +0300

* Yuchen Pei <id@ypei.org> [2022-10-21 06:50]:
> On Fri 2022-10-21 06:26:51 +0300, Jean Louis wrote:
>
> > Lynx without Emacs works fine, and luwak can't get the page as it
> > tries using torsocks automatically:
>
> Thanks for trying it out.
>
> Now I think of it, perhaps it makes more sense for the tor-switch should
> be the other around.  I have pushed a commit to toggle the default value
> of luwak-tor-switch.
>

> > 1666322739 PERROR torsocks[21360]: socks5 libc connect: Connection
> > refused (in socks5_connect() at socks5.c:202)
>
> This looks like tor is not on.  Are you able to get output from say
>
> torsocks wget -qO- https://check.torproject.org/ | grep -i congratulations

Because Tor is not started:

$ torsocks wget -qO- https://check.torproject.org/ | grep -i congratulations
1666335386 PERROR torsocks[30029]: socks5 libc connect: Connection refused (in
socks5_connect() at socks5.c:202)

I do not think that package that is supposed to provide browsing shall
supposedly automate activation of Tor. That shall be optional. It
needs instructions for user to understand that it requires Tor, but
why it should require it? There is no reason for it. Using Tor is
generally useful, but there is no reason for browsing package to
require it.

After:

$ sudo rc-service tor start
 * /run/tor: creating directory
 * /run/tor: correcting owner
 * Starting tor ...

$ torsocks wget -qO- https://check.torproject.org/ | grep -i congratulations

      Congratulations. This browser is configured to use Tor.
      Congratulations. This browser is configured to use Tor.

If you only say that `torsocks' is to activate it all, then there is
problem, as Tor does not run in background.

Think of usability of the package for browsing.

Further, it seems I can't access any of the links:

error in process sentinel: save-excursion: Args out of range: #<buffer
*luwak*>, 0, 70
error in process sentinel: Args out of range: #<buffer *luwak*>, 0, 70

Further, I think that numbered links shall be activated by using
numbers: 12 RET to activate link number 12.

--
Jean

https://www.fsf.org/campaigns

In support of Richard M. Stallman