Re: Copyright assignment

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Copyright assignment
Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2022 14:32:42 +0300

> From: Stefan Kangas <stefankangas@gmail.com>
> Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2022 00:44:01 -0700
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
> FWIW, coreutils don't have people ask on the mailing list about this,
> they just have this note in their HACKING file:
>
>   The forms to choose from are in gnulib's doc/Copyright/ directory.
>   If you want to assign a single change, you should use the file,
>   doc/Copyright/request-assign.changes:
>
>       https://www.gnu.org/software/gnulib/Copyright/request-assign.changes
>
>   If you would like to assign past and future contributions to a project,
>   you'd use doc/Copyright/request-assign.future:
>
>       https://www.gnu.org/software/gnulib/Copyright/request-assign.future
>
> I think doing the same would save us some work and help cut down on the
> noise on these lists.

I'm not objected to having a copy of the assignment request in our
repository, but:

  . Someone(TM) should take up a job of making sure it is always
    up-to-date wrt the one the FSF copyright clerk expects;
  . we will still get requests about this, the only difference is that
    we will be able to point to the repository instead of sending it
    (I'm not sure which way is better for the person who asks about
    the form)