Re: Suppressing native compilation (short and long term)

From: Gregor Zattler
Subject: Re: Suppressing native compilation (short and long term)
Date: Sun, 23 Oct 2022 17:22:06 +0200

Hi Eli,
* Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> [2022-10-03; 19:19 +03]:
[... native compilation and laptop battery ..]
> You see, I have my data, and it seems to indicate a very short period
> of initial compilations for a modest consumption of resources.  (This
> isn't a laptop, but I'm acutely aware of my system's load at all
> times, and have it on the mode line, so I know what kind of
> computation is going on during that time.)  The data I see here
> doesn't look like it should be a problem for anyone, as long as files
> are compiled only as they are used. In my case, for example, I see
> maybe half a dozen *.eln files compiled after the initial startup.  I
> expect to see that on any machine where a user has steady usage
> patterns -- the compilation flats out very quickly.

Strangely, that is not what I see.  Instead every time I
start Emacs (since a week or so) like this

cd ~/src/emacs-master-next/src; gdb emacs -ex 'set logging file /tmp/gdb.txt'
-ex 'set logging on' -ex 'set logging file /tmp/gdb.txt' -ex 'run --fg-daemon'

after roughly 30 seconds I see asynchronous compilation
processes which last at least 120 to most 150 seconds.
While this is the case in htop these compilation processes
are most of the time the top most cpu consumers, in powertop
I see several emacs processes are consuming power right
after the devices of my laptop.

What this means in actual power consumption I cannot say.

What is strange is, that these compilation processes start
over and over again, every time I start Emacs even if I do
not install/upgrade Emacs, nor packages.

I just did this three times in a row and it's a consistent
pattern.

This is GNU Emacs 29.0.50 (build 2, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu,
cairo version 1.16.0) of 2022-10-19

on

Debian bullseye right now with a backported kernel: Linux no
5.18.0-0.deb11.4-amd64 #1 SMP PREEMPT_DYNAMIC Debian
5.18.16-1~bpo11+1 (2022-08-12) x86_64 GNU/Linux

Ciao; Gregor
--