Re: Suppressing native compilation (short and long term)

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Suppressing native compilation (short and long term)
Date: Sun, 23 Oct 2022 19:07:48 +0300

> From: Gregor Zattler <telegraph@gmx.net>
> Cc: rlb@defaultvalue.org, monnier@iro.umontreal.ca, david@tethera.net,
>  emacs-devel@gnu.org, akrl@sdf.org
> Date: Sun, 23 Oct 2022 17:22:06 +0200
>
> Hi Eli,
> * Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> [2022-10-03; 19:19 +03]:
> [... native compilation and laptop battery ..]
> > You see, I have my data, and it seems to indicate a very short period
> > of initial compilations for a modest consumption of resources.  (This
> > isn't a laptop, but I'm acutely aware of my system's load at all
> > times, and have it on the mode line, so I know what kind of
> > computation is going on during that time.)  The data I see here
> > doesn't look like it should be a problem for anyone, as long as files
> > are compiled only as they are used. In my case, for example, I see
> > maybe half a dozen *.eln files compiled after the initial startup.  I
> > expect to see that on any machine where a user has steady usage
> > patterns -- the compilation flats out very quickly.
>
> Strangely, that is not what I see.  Instead every time I
> start Emacs (since a week or so) like this
>
> cd ~/src/emacs-master-next/src; gdb emacs -ex 'set logging file /tmp/gdb.txt'
> -ex 'set logging on' -ex 'set logging file /tmp/gdb.txt' -ex 'run --fg-daemon'
>
> after roughly 30 seconds I see asynchronous compilation
> processes which last at least 120 to most 150 seconds.
> While this is the case in htop these compilation processes
> are most of the time the top most cpu consumers, in powertop
> I see several emacs processes are consuming power right
> after the devices of my laptop.

Please tell the details: which files are being compiled, and whether
do you see the corresponding *.eln files in the eln-cache afterwards.
Once a .eln file is in the eln-cache, the next invocation should not
re-compile the same file, it should load the compiled .eln file from
the eln-cache.

Could it be that your eln-cache is deleted between sessions?