Re: Suppressing native compilation (short and long term)

From: Gregor Zattler
Subject: Re: Suppressing native compilation (short and long term)
Date: Sun, 23 Oct 2022 19:08:23 +0200

Hi Eli,
* Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> [2022-10-23; 19:07 +03]:
>> From: Gregor Zattler <telegraph@gmx.net>
>> Cc: rlb@defaultvalue.org, monnier@iro.umontreal.ca, david@tethera.net,
>>  emacs-devel@gnu.org, akrl@sdf.org
>> Date: Sun, 23 Oct 2022 17:22:06 +0200

>> Strangely, that is not what I see.  Instead every time I
>> start Emacs (since a week or so) like this
>>
>> cd ~/src/emacs-master-next/src; gdb emacs -ex 'set logging file
>> /tmp/gdb.txt' -ex 'set logging on' -ex 'set logging file /tmp/gdb.txt' -ex
>> 'run --fg-daemon'
>>
>> after roughly 30 seconds I see asynchronous compilation
>> processes which last at least 120 to most 150 seconds.
>> While this is the case in htop these compilation processes
>> are most of the time the top most cpu consumers, in powertop
>> I see several emacs processes are consuming power right
>> after the devices of my laptop.
>
> Please tell the details: which files are being compiled, and whether
> do you see the corresponding *.eln files in the eln-cache afterwards.
> Once a .eln file is in the eln-cache, the next invocation should not
> re-compile the same file, it should load the compiled .eln file from
> the eln-cache.

perhaps I misinterpreted and what I saw was the testing of
the .eln cache?:

I did

find "/home/grfz/.config/emacs/eln-cache/"
"/home/grfz/src/emacs-master-next/native-lisp/" -type f | xargs -r ls -Altr >
/tmp/before

<start Emacs again>

while sleep 1 ; do ps -eo pid,tty,stat,user,group,etime,time,cgroup,args  fax
>> faxme; done  # while emacs started

find "/home/grfz/.config/emacs/eln-cache/"
"/home/grfz/src/emacs-master-next/native-lisp/" -type f | xargs -r ls -Altr >
/tmp/before

now

$ diff -aNur before after
$

--> No new .eln files were written.

But file faxme contains 280 lines like this:

/home/grfz/src/emacs-master-next/src/emacs --batch -l
/tmp/emacs-async-comp-cl-lib-7Go9da.el

0 grfz@no:/tmp$ grep -o 'emacs-async-comp-.*' faxme | cut -d - -f 4- | sed -e
"s/-[^-]*\.el$//" |sort -u | while read ; do grep -qs $REPLY before || echo
$REPLY; done
0 grfz@no:/tmp$

So all these "emacs-async-comp-cl-lib-7Go9da.el" like files
have corresponding files in the .eln cache.

Is it possible that it takes 150 secs to test the .eln cache?

> Could it be that your eln-cache is deleted between sessions?

no.

Ciao; Gregor
--