Re: "Package from Source"

From: Philip Kaludercic
Subject: Re: "Package from Source"
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2022 16:27:28 +0000

Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:

> The node name "Package from Source" is somewhat confusing.  This
> command fetches the source from the development repo.  Sometimes a
> user will want that, but sometimes a user will want to look at or edit
> the source of the current release of the package.

Do you have a suggestion for a better name?  I'd gladly apply it if it
makes sense.

> Let's keep these two issues separate:
> 1) To see the package source files in a repo to edit them.
> 2) Which version to use.

Right, 1) is implemented and could be merged if there is an ack from
above™ and 2) has not been implemented yet, but I plan to do so when I
find the time.

> In other words, there should be a command to check out the current version
> sources, and a command to check out the development version sources.
> Or maybe one command that can do either of those two.

I can imagine that both are possible with a single command, that would
take a prefix argument when invoked interactively.  Another idea would
be to use a user option.