Re: master 31945b6c3f: * lisp/progmodes/eglot.el (eglot): Ensure managed

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: master 31945b6c3f: * lisp/progmodes/eglot.el (eglot): Ensure managed-major-mode is a list
Date: Sat, 29 Oct 2022 10:24:30 +0300

> From: Stefan Kangas <stefankangas@gmail.com>
> Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2022 23:52:11 -0700
> Cc: rms@gnu.org, joaotavora@gmail.com, emacs-devel@gnu.org,
>       stephen_leake@stephe-leake.org
>
> Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:
>
> > They also make patches harder to review, sometimes much harder.
>
> Fully agreed.  That's why I'd prefer it if people would make whitespace
> changes separately from functional changes.  Our current rule
> unfortunately seems to encourage putting it all in the same patch.

Having whitespace changes as part of code changes is inevitable, when
the changes modify indentation.  You cannot separate them.  We ask not
to make whitespace changes in places other than where the code is
being changed because that makes finding the "real" changes harder
than it has to be.

As for whitespace changes unrelated to code changes: we prefer not to
make them at all.

In any case, the suggestion to change our policy is a separate
discussion.  My intent was to point out that we do have a policy, and
to make sure people who read this list are aware of that policy.