Re: [ELPA] New package: use-package

From: Payas Relekar
Subject: Re: [ELPA] New package: use-package
Date: Sat, 29 Oct 2022 22:53:19 +0530

Re-including emacs-devel, as my mail agent seems to be dropping it sometimes

>>>     git clone --single-branch git://git.savannah.gnu.org/emacs/elpa.git
>>>     cd elpa
>>>     make
>>
>> I already had elpa.git cloned and yes, it took a while :) Perhaps above
>> step should be recommended default.
>
> Definitely.  Let us know where you got your other "recommended default"
> from so we can fix it.

I got it from here: https://savannah.gnu.org/git/?group=emacs

My chain of progression to this page was:
1. Google GNU ELPA
2. Go here: https://elpa.gnu.org/
3. Gio here:
https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs/elpa.git/plain/README
4. Ultimately follow "Getting the source" section of README to here:
https://savannah.gnu.org/git/?group=emacs

>>> then fetch your package:
>>>
>>>     make packages/use-package
>>
>> Thanks! I'm not at my machine right now, but my build failed at this
>> point. It may be possible I was missing some implicit dependencies. Are
>> gcc and gnumake enough?
>
> Gcc is definitely not needed.  The above just executes a few Git
> commands to fetch the code.

Thanks! I'll try it out once at my machine.