Re: Emacs git repo mangled

From: João Távora
Subject: Re: Emacs git repo mangled
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2022 16:24:15 +0000

On Mon, Oct 31, 2022 at 4:04 PM Stefan Kangas <stefankangas@gmail.com> wrote:

> João Távora <joaotavora@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > I don't understand what the problem is, because as far as i remember, the
> > merged branch contains only commits to two files, lisp/progmodes/eglot.el
> > and doc/misc/eglot.texi.
>
> AFAICT, the first commit on the eglot branch that was merged
> (1e5b753bf46a) does not start out from some commit on master, so the
> rest of the tree just won't be there.  Something to remember in future
> merges, I think, but not the end of the world.

How would one proceed in future merges of git-versioned packages
that started outside the Emacs mainline?  Are you suggesting it's possible
(in a future merge) to bring that first commit out of some commit on master?
If so, how?

I think git bisect --first-parent should be behave correctly, but I haven't
tested.  Maybe there's a way to make that the default for git bisections in
the Emacs repo?

João

PS: This is the thread where the merge technique was discussed and
the provisional results presented, if it helps anyone:
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2022-09/msg01583.html