Re: feature/package-vc has been merged

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: feature/package-vc has been merged
Date: Mon, 07 Nov 2022 20:19:52 +0200

> From: Philip Kaludercic <philipk@posteo.net>
> Cc: monnier@iro.umontreal.ca,  rms@gnu.org,  emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Mon, 07 Nov 2022 18:10:04 +0000
>
> Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:
>
> > OK, but my question was why all of this gets magically done when you
> > clone the repository outside ~/.emacs.d/elpa, but does not get done
> > when you clone it inside?  I thought this is what you were alluding to
> > when I asked why not clone into ~/.emacs.d.
>
> Oh no, I'm sorry if I implied this somehow.  This is neither the case in
> or outside of ~/.emacs.d/elpa.  Somehow, someone has to do all of this.
> And one someone is package-vc.

So my proposal is to clone the repositories below ~/.emacs.d/elpa/,
and thus solve the problem of linking/copying of files from the
repository to .emacs.d (and several others, which you and Stefan for
some reason don't consider important enough).

And with that, let me bow out of this, since I think you understand
well enough what I proposed and can make your own decisions.