Re: feature/package-vc has been merged

From: Björn Bidar
Subject: Re: feature/package-vc has been merged
Date: Wed, 09 Nov 2022 08:51:15 +0200

>>> I do too.
>>>
>>> Also, the Borg, the Straight, and the DELPS package managers implemented
>>> that same functionality, so there's clearly a public for it.
>>
>> Me too.  Actually, I thought that was the entire motivation for
>> package-vc.  Is there any other reason to have it?
>
> It was my personal motivation, but I know that some people prefer using
> version controlled package sources to improve the reproducability of an
> Emacs configuration.

This and the lower the entry level/bar is to contribute the more user
potentially contribute. For me since moving to Borg my contributions
have gone greatly compared to using package.el where there was less user
control and a higher level effort I have to take to get to the packages
sources and it's version control.

However this process also depends on how good the system is, magit,
forge and epkg are very good.
>From my past experience vc didn't came close to that. package-vc also
still depends on the centralized package information and doesn't include
other sources such as melpa by default.

Br,

Björn