Re: Suggesting that feature/tree-sitter be merged (was Re: Tree-sitter a

From: Theodor Thornhill
Subject: Re: Suggesting that feature/tree-sitter be merged (was Re: Tree-sitter and major mode inheritance)
Date: Sat, 19 Nov 2022 19:46:07 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> Date: Sat, 19 Nov 2022 06:21:12 +0100
>> From: Theodor Thornhill <theo@thornhill.no>
>> CC: emacs-devel <emacs-devel@gnu.org>, Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org>
>>
>> >The good news is, feature/tree-sitter is merging in a few days! And
>> >we’ll make further improvements on the master. So rest assured! :-)
>> >I think we can at least get C, Python, Javascript, Typescript, Bash,
>> >JONS and CSS to go with the up coming release, largely thanks to
>> >Theo’s (and tree-sitter’s) productivity. I personally don’t know
>> >enough of C++ and Java to polish them, but they have a good chance
>> >too.
>>
>> Java should be good to - modulo some tweaks. I'm using it daily at work
>> already :)
>
> Btw, should we add C# to c-ts-mode.el?  Or did we already discuss that and
> decided against?  I don't remember, sorry.

I don't think we decided against, and we didn't really discuss it. IIRC
your "challenge" was for the cc modes already included in emacs, and C#
is not that.  But seeing how there's a functioning cc-based c#-mode, I
could tweak that to include both.  The Cc mode variant is very stable
and have been for some time already.  There's no need to maintain the
one in ELPA, and as I'm the author of it I think we can merge both?  So
we can have in-tree support for c# whether or not you have tree-sitter
enabled?  I can whip up a patch for that if you want, or we could just
add the tree-sitter variant.  In any case, I think c#-mode should
probably not be inside of c-ts-mode, considering that it's not a
superset of C, like C++, but its own entity.

 What do you think?