Re: Rename Tree-sitter major modes from "ts" to "treesit" (was Re: tree-

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Rename Tree-sitter major modes from "ts" to "treesit" (was Re: tree-sitter version?)
Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2022 10:31:45 +0200

> From: Yuan Fu <casouri@gmail.com>
> Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2022 00:20:00 -0800
> Cc: "T.V Raman" <raman@google.com>,
>  tsdh@gnu.org,
>  emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
> > On Nov 25, 2022, at 8:25 AM, Daniel Martín <mardani29@yahoo.es> wrote:
> >
> > "T.V Raman" <raman@google.com> writes:
> >
> >> also the   name "ts" as part of tree-sitter is an unfortunate
> >> confusion since ts-mode is for typescript.
> >>
> >> I initally wrongly assumed that ts-mode was some kind of global mode
> >> that would enable tree-support for all supported modes, given the
> >> names c-ts-mode etc.
> >
> > This is a good point.  The Tree-sitter Elisp library itself and its
> > commands already use the "treesit" abbreviation consistently.  We're
> > still on time to rename the new language modes to c-treesit-mode, and so
> > on.  Thoughts?
>
> Yeah we should use treesit, if nothing better appears. We had a (short)
> discussion on better names than xxx-ts-mode, but no one had better idea, so
> the name stuck.

Sorry, no more renames, and that is final.  The branching point for emacs-29
is almost upon us, and we cannot afford such changes anymore.  The
justification is quite weak anyway.  People who think "ts" means only
"typescript" will have to adapt.  (The tree-sitter library has all of its
functions start with "ts_", so we didn't invent this shorthand out of thin
air.)